Starting an Iowa LLC is Easy
To form an LLC in Iowa, you'll need to file a Certificate of Organization with the Iowa Secretary of State, which costs $50. You can apply online, by mail, or by fax. The Certificate of Organization is the legal document that officially creates your Iowa Limited Liability Company.
Follow our step-by-step How to Start an LLC in Iowa guide to get started today. You can learn more about LLCs and their benefits in our What is an LLC guide.
STEP 1: Name your Iowa LLC
Choosing a company name is the first and most important step in starting your LLC. Be sure to choose a name that complies with Iowa naming requirements and is easily searchable by potential clients.
1. Follow the naming guidelines:
- Your name must include the phrase “limited liability company” or one of its abbreviations (LLC or L.L.C.).
- Your name cannot include words that could confuse your LLC with a government agency (FBI, Treasury, State Department, etc.).
- Restricted words (e.g. Bank, Attorney, University) may require additional paperwork and a licensed individual, such as a doctor or lawyer, to be part of your LLC.
2. Is the name available in Iowa? Make sure the name you want isn't already taken by doing a on the State of Iowa website.
To learn more about searching for an Iowa LLC name, read our full guide.
3. Is the URL available? We recommend that you check online to see if your business name is available as a . Even if you don't plan to make a business website today, you may want to buy the URL in order to prevent others from acquiring it.
Find a Domain Now
Now that you have verified your name and secured the URL you may select a professional service to complete the LLC formation process for you. We recommend using one of these professional services:
($39 + State Fees)
LegalZoom ($149 + State Fees)
FAQ: Naming an LLC
What is an LLC?
LLC is short for Limited Liability Company. It is a simple business structure that offers more flexibility than a traditional corporation while providing many of the same benefits. For more information, read our What is an LLC guide.
Watch our video:
How do I name my Iowa LLC?
You must follow the Iowa LLC naming guidelines when choosing a name for your LLC:
- Include the phrase "limited liability company" or one of its abbreviations (LLC or L.L.C.).
- Do not use words that could confuse your business with a government agency (FBI, State Department, CIA, etc.).
- Receive the proper licensing when using the words such as lawyer or doctor.
If you are having trouble coming up with a name for your LLC use our LLC Name Generator. That will not only find a unique name for your business but an available URL to match.
After you get your business name, your next step is getting a unique logo. Get your unique logo using our Free Logo Generator.
Do I need to get a DBA or Trade Name for my business?
Most LLCs do not need a DBA. The name of the LLC can serve as your company’s brand name and you can accept checks and other payments under that name as well. However, you may wish to register a DBA if you would like to conduct business under another name.
To learn more about DBAs in your state, read our How to File a DBA guide.
STEP 2: Choose a Registered Agent in Iowa
You are required to nominate an Iowa Registered Agent for your Iowa LLC.
What is a Registered Agent? A registered agent is an individual or business entity responsible for receiving important legal documents on behalf of your business. Think of your registered agent as your business's point of contact with the state.
Who can be a Registered Agent? a Registered Agent must be a resident of Iowa or a corporation, such as a registered agent service, authorized to transact business in Iowa. You may elect an individual within the company including yourself.
To learn more about Iowa Registered Agents, read our full guide.
Recommended: provides the first year of registered agent service free with LLC formation ($39 + State Fees)
FAQ: Nominating a Registered Agent
Can I be my own registered agent?
Yes. You or anyone else in your company can serve as the registered agent for your LLC.
Read more about being your own registered agent.
Is a Registered Agent service worth it?
Using a professional Registered Agent service is an affordable way to manage government filings for your LLC. For most businesses, the advantages of using a professional service significantly outweigh the annual costs.
For more information, read our article on Iowa registered agents.
STEP 3: File Your Iowa LLC Certificate of Organization
To register your Iowa LLC, you'll need to file a with the Iowa Secretary of State. You can apply online, by mail, or by fax. If filing a hard copy, you must draft your own Certificate of Organization in accordance with the Iowa state statutes.
Now is a good time to determine whether your LLC will be member-managed vs. manager-managed.
Option 1: File the Certificate of Organization Online with the Iowa Secretary of State
- OR -
Option 2: File by Mail or by Fax
Fee: $50 (Nonrefundable)
Online Filing: After logging in, click "File a Document" located in the top menu.
Lucas State Office Building
321 E 12th St
Des Moines, IA 50319
Fax: (515) 242-5953
Note: The state of Iowa does not have a standard Certificate of Organization to file by mail or fax. Instead, you must create your own Certificate of Organization by following the .
For help with completing the form, visit our Iowa Certificate of Organization guide.
If you’re expanding your existing LLC to the state of Iowa, you will need to form a Foreign LLC.
FAQ: Filing LLC Documents
What is the processing time to form my Iowa LLC?
If filing online, your Certificate of Organization is immediately processed. If filing by mail or fax, processing times can reach up to two weeks.
What is the difference between a domestic Iowa LLC and foreign LLC?
An LLC is referred to as a "domestic LLC" when it conducts business in the state where it was formed. Normally when we refer to an LLC we are actually referring to a domestic LLC. A foreign LLC must be formed when an existing LLC wishes to expand its business to another state.
Read our What Is a Foreign LLC article to learn more.
How much does it cost to start an Iowa LLC?
The cost to start an Iowa LLC is $50.
To learn more, read our guide on the cost to form an Iowa LLC.
STEP 4: Create Your Iowa LLC Operating Agreement
An operating agreement is not required in Iowa, but it's a good practice to have one.
What is an operating agreement? An operating agreement is a legal document outlining the ownership and operating procedures of an LLC.
Why are operating agreements important? A comprehensive operating agreement ensures that all business owners are on the same page and reduces the risk of future conflict.
For more information on operating agreements, read our Iowa LLC operating agreement guide.
Recommended: Download a template or create a Free Operating Agreement using our tool.
FAQ: Creating an Operating Agreement
Do I need to file my operating agreement with the state?
No. The operating agreement is an internal document that you should keep on file for future reference. However, many states do legally require LLCs to have an operating agreement in place.
STEP 5: Get an EIN for your Iowa LLC
What is an EIN? EIN stands for Employer Identification Number. EINs are a nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to help identify businesses for tax purposes. It is essentially a Social Security number for a business.
An EIN is sometimes referred to as a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN).
Why do I need an EIN? An EIN is required to:
- Open a business bank account
- File and manage Federal and State Taxes
- Hire employees
What if I already have an EIN for my sole proprietorship? The IRS requires that sole proprietorships get a riversweeps online casino app android EIN when converting to an LLC.
Where do I get an EIN? You can get an EIN for free from the IRS. Getting an EIN is an easy process that can be done online or by mail.
FOR INTERNATIONAL EIN APPLICANTS: You do not need a SSN to get an EIN. For more information, read our How to Get an EIN as a Foreign Person guide.
Option 1: Request an EIN from the IRS
- OR -
Option 2: Apply for an EIN by Mail or Fax
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
FAQ: Getting an Iowa EIN
How do I get an EIN if I don’t have a Social Security number?
An SSN is not required to get an EIN. You can simply fill out and leave section 7b blank. Then call the IRS at (267) 941-1099 to complete your application. Learn more here applying as an international applicant.
What tax structure should I choose for my LLC?
Do I need an EIN for my LLC?
All LLCs with employees, or any LLC with more than one member, must have an EIN. This is required by the IRS.
Learn why we recommend always getting an EIN and how to get one for free in our Do I Need an EIN for an LLC guide.
Considering Using an LLC Formation Service?
We reviewed and ranked the top 5 LLC formation services.
Find out which is best for starting your Iowa LLC.
Important Steps After Forming an LLC
Separate Your Personal and Business Assets
When your personal and business accounts are mixed, your personal assets (your riversweeps online casino app android, car, and other valuables) are at risk in the event your Iowa LLC is sued. In business law, this is referred to as piercing the corporate veil.
You can start protecting your LLC in Iowa with these steps:
1. Opening a business checking account:
- Separates your personal assets from your company's assets, which is necessary for personal asset protection.
- Makes accounting and tax filing easier.
Need help finding your EIN for your bank application? Visit our EIN Lookup guide for help.
Recommended: Read our Best Banks for Small Business review to find the best national bank, credit union, business-loan friendly banks, one with many brick-and-mortar locations, and more.
2. Getting a business credit card:
- Helps categorize and separate all business expenses for end-of-year tax purposes.
- Helps build your business credit score — an essential step toward getting a line of credit or business loan in the future.
- Allows you to keep track of department expenses by issuing multiple cards (with multiple budgets) to your employees.
For a closer look at business credit cards and their benefits, check out our review of the best small business credit cards.
Recommended: Visit Divvy to apply for their business credit card and build your business credit quickly.
For other important steps to protect your corporate veil, like properly signing legal documents and documenting company business, please read our corporate veil article.
3. Hiring a business accountant:
- Prevents your business from overpaying on taxes while helping you avoid penalties, fines, and other costly tax errors
- Makes bookkeeping and payroll easier, leaving you with more time to focus on your growing business
- Manages your business funding more effectively, discovering areas of unforeseen loss or extra profit
Recommended: Find out how much you could be saving today by trying our .
For more business accounting tools, read our guide to the best business accounting software.
Get Business Insurance for Your Iowa LLC
Business insurance helps you manage risks and focus on growing your business. The most common types of business insurance are:
- General Liability Insurance: A broad insurance policy that protects your business from lawsuits. Most small businesses get general liability insurance.
- Professional Liability Insurance: A business insurance for professional service providers (consultants, accountants, etc.) that covers claims of malpractice and other business errors.
- Workers' Compensation Insurance: A type of insurance that provides coverage for employees’ job-related illnesses, injuries, or deaths. In Iowa, businesses with one or more employees, excluding business owners, are required by law to have workers' compensation insurance.
Read our review of the best small business insurance companies.
Create Your Business Website
Creating a website is a big step in legitimizing your business. Every business needs a website. Even if you think that your business is too small or in an offline industry, if you don’t have a website, you are missing out on a large percentage of potential customers and revenue.
Some may fear that creating a business website is out of their reach because they don’t have any website-building experience. While this may have been a reasonable fear back in 2015, web technology has seen huge advancements in the past few years that makes the lives of small business owners much simpler.
Here are the main reasons why you shouldn’t delay building your website:
- All legitimate businesses have websites - full stop. The size or industry of your business does not matter when it comes to getting your business online.
- Social media accounts like Facebook pages or LinkedIn business profiles are not a replacement for a business website that you own and control.
- Website builder tools like the GoDaddy Website Builder have made creating a basic website extremely simple. You don’t need to hire a web developer or designer to create a website that you can be proud of.
Using our website building guides, the process will be simple and painless and shouldn’t take you any longer than 2-3 hours to complete.
Recommended: Get started today using our or check out our review of the Best Website Builders.
Send Out a Press Release
Press releases are among the easiest and best ways to promote your business. They are also one of the most cost-effective strategies as they:
- Provides publicity
- Establish your brand presence on the web
- Improve your website’s search engine optimization (SEO), driving more customers to your website
- Are a one-time cost in terms of effort and money
- Have long-lasting benefits
Read our review of the best press release services.
Keep Your Company Compliant
Iowa LLC Permits and Licenses
To operate your LLC you must comply with federal, state, and local government regulations. For example, restaurants likely need health permits, building permits, signage permits, etc.
The details of business licenses and permits vary from state to state. Make sure you read carefully. Don't be surprised if there are short classes required as well.
Fees for business licenses and permits will vary depending on what sort of license you are seeking to obtain.
Find out how to obtain necessary licenses and permits for your business or have a do it for you:
- Business License Guide: Use our detailed Iowa Business License guide.
- Federal: Use the .
- State: Apply for or learn more about licenses, permits and registration with .
- Local: Contact your local county clerk and ask about local licenses and permits.
Recommended: If you are a first-time entrepreneur, consider having a professional service research your business’s licensing requirements. Read our review on Startup Savant.
Iowa LLC Tax Filing Requirements
Depending on the nature of your business, you may be required to register for one or more forms of state tax.
Iowa Sales Tax
If you are selling a physical product, you’ll typically need to register for a seller's permit through the Iowa Department of Revenue website.
This certificate allows a business to collect sales tax on taxable sales.
Sales tax, also called "Sales and Use Tax," is a tax levied by states, counties, and municipalities on business transactions involving the exchange of certain taxable goods or services.
Read our Iowa sales tax guide to find out more.
Iowa Employer Taxes
If you have employees in Iowa, you will have to register for through the Iowa Workforce Development website. You will also need to sign up for the through the Iowa Department of Revenue on behalf of your employees.
Federal LLC Tax Requirements
Most LLCs will need to report their income to the IRS each year using:
- (most multi-member LLCs use this form)
- (most single-member LLCs use this form)
How you pay yourself as an owner will also affect your federal taxes. Visit our guide to learn more about how to pay yourself from your LLC.
Read our LLC Tax Guide to learn more about federal income taxes for LLCs.
Iowa LLC Biennial Report
Iowa requires LLCs to file a biennial report with the Iowa Secretary of State. This can be done online.
File Online with the Iowa Secretary of State
Fee: $60 (Nonrefundable)
Due Date: Due between January 1st and April 1st of every odd numbered years.
Late Filings: Iowa does not charge late fees if you miss your filing deadline but may administratively dissolve your LLC after a few months for failure to file an annual report.
Avoid Automatic Dissolution
LLCs may face fines and even automatic dissolution when they miss one or more state filings. When this happens, LLC owners risk the loss of limited liability protection. A quality registered agent service can help prevent this outcome by notifying you of upcoming filing deadlines and by submitting reports on your behalf.
Recommended: offers a reliable registered agent service and excellent customer support. Learn more by reading our ZenBusiness Review.
If you plan to hire employees, stay compliant with the law by following these steps:
- Verify that riversweeps online casino app android employees are able to work in the US
- as "riversweeps online casino app android hires" to the State
- Provide workers' compensation insurance for employees
- Withhold employee taxes
- Print workplace compliance posters and place them in visible areas of your work space
Find more information on the .
Recommended: Check out our Hiring for your Small Business Guide for resources like sample job descriptions, payroll service reviews, and more.
FAQ: Hiring Employees
What is the minimum wage in Iowa?
The minimum wage in Iowa is $7.25 per hour.
How often do I need to pay employees?
Iowa allows wages to be paid in any frequency, as long as it is on a reliable schedule and happens once per month.
Small Business Resources
Get Help Starting a Business in Iowa
We understand that creating an LLC and getting your business up and running comes with many challenges. To help you succeed, we compiled the best local resources in every major metro area in Iowa. You can get free assistance in the following areas:
Small Business Trends
Learn about the current US business trends so you can make the most informed business decisions.
Women in Business Tools and Resources
If you have a , many resources are available to help you concentrate on your business’s growth:
- - (ie. grants, investors, loans)
- - (ie. conferences, meetups)
- - (ie. business formation, personal growth)
- - (ie. advice, communities, business strategies)
Our information and tools will provide educational sources, allow you to connect with other women entrepreneurs, and help you manage your business with ease.
Free LLC Legal Forms
riversweeps online casino app android offers a number of free LLC legal forms to help with creating documents like:
- Operating agreements
- LLC resolutions
- Hiring documents, including:
- Employment contracts
- Independent contractor service agreements (ICSA)
- Non-disclosure agreements (NDA)
All you’ll need to do to download the forms is sign up for the riversweeps online casino app android Business Center, which is also free, forever.
How to Build Business Credit
Learning how to build business credit can help you get credit cards and other business funding options in your business's name (instead of yours), with better interest rates, higher lines of credit, and more.
riversweeps online casino app android’s Small Business Tools
riversweeps online casino app android believes business tools should be free and useful. Our tools help solve business challenges, from finding an idea for your business, to creating a business plan, writing an operating agreement for your LLC, and more.
Check out riversweeps online casino app android’s small business tools:
More Iowa LLC Information
Register as a Foreign LLC in Iowa
Forming a foreign LLC allows your company to operate as one entity in multiple states. If you have an existing LLC and want to do business in Iowa, you will need to register as a foreign LLC. This can be done by mail.
How to Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing in Iowa
A Certificate of Good Standing, known in Iowa as a Certificate of Existence, verifies that your LLC was legally formed and has been properly maintained. Several instances where you might need to get one include:
- Seeking funding from banks or other lenders
- Forming your business as a foreign LLC in another state
- Obtaining or reriversweeps online casino app androiding specific business licenses or permits
You can order an Iowa LLC Certificate of Existence online.
How to Dissolve an LLC in Iowa
If at any point in the future you no longer wish to conduct business with your LLC, it is important to officially dissolve it. Failure to do so in a timely fashion can result in tax liabilities and penalties, or even legal trouble. To dissolve your LLC, there are two broad steps:
- Close your business tax accounts
- File the Articles of Dissolution
When you are ready to dissolve your LLC, follow the steps in our Iowa LLC Dissolution Guide.
Read More about LLCs & How to Run a Business
LLC: An LLC is a US business structure that offers the personal liability protection of a corporation with the pass-through taxation of a sole proprietorship or partnership.
DBA: A DBA, or doing business as name, is any name a business operates under that isn't its legal name.
Partnership: A partnership is an informal business structure owned by more than one individual that doesn't provide personal liability protection.