Starting an LLC in Hawaii is Easy
LLC Hawaii - To start a Hawaii LLC, you'll need to file the Articles of Organization with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, which costs $50. You can apply online, by mail, by fax, by email, or in person. The Articles of Organization is the legal document that officially creates your Hawaii limited liability company.
Follow our step-by-step How to Start an LLC in Hawaii guide to get started today. You can learn more about LLCs and their benefits in our What Is an LLC guide.
STEP 1: Name your Hawaii LLC
Choosing a company name is the first and most important step in starting your Hawaii LLC. Be sure to choose a name that complies with Hawaii naming requirements and is easily searchable by potential clients.
1. Follow the naming guidelines:
- Your name must include the phrase “limited liability company” or one of its abbreviations (LLC or L.L.C.).
- Your name cannot include words that could confuse your Hawaii LLC with a government agency (FBI, Treasury, State Department, etc.).
- Restricted words (e.g. Bank, Attorney, University) may require additional paperwork and a licensed individual, such as a doctor or lawyer, to be part of your Hawaii LLC.
For a complete list of naming rules in Hawaii, you can read Hawaii's .
2. Hawaii Name Availability. Make sure the name you want isn't already taken by doing a on the Hawaii State website.
To learn more about searching for a Hawaii LLC name, read our full guide.
3. Is the URL available? We recommend that you check online to see if your business name is available as a . Even if you don't plan to make a business website today, you may want to buy the URL in order to prevent others from acquiring it.
Find a Domain Now
Now that you have verified your name and secured the URL you may select a professional service to complete the LLC formation process for you. We recommend using one of these professional services:
($39 + State Fees)
LegalZoom ($149 + State Fees)
FAQ: Naming an LLC
What is an LLC?
LLC is short for Limited Liability Company. It is a simple business structure that offers more flexibility than a traditional corporation while providing many of the same benefits. For more information, read our What is an LLC guide.
Watch our video:
How do I name my Hawaii LLC?
You must follow the Hawaii LLC naming guidelines when choosing a name for your LLC:
- Include the phrase "limited liability company" or one of its abbreviations (LLC or L.L.C.).
- Do not use words that could confuse your business with a government agency (FBI, State Department, CIA, etc.).
- Receive the proper licensing when using the words such as lawyer or doctor.
If you are having trouble coming up with a name for your LLC use our LLC Name Generator. That will not only find a unique name for your business but an available URL to match.
After you get your business name, your next step is getting a unique logo. Get your unique logo using our Free Logo Generator.
Do I need to get a DBA or Trade Name for my business?
Most LLCs do not need a DBA. The name of the LLC can serve as your company’s brand name and you can accept checks and other payments under that name as well. However, you may wish to register a DBA if you would like to conduct business under another name.
To learn more about DBAs in your state, read our How to File a DBA guide.
STEP 2: Choose a Registered Agent in Hawaii
You are required to nominate a Hawaii Registered Agent for your Hawaii LLC.
What is a Registered Agent? A registered agent is an individual or business entity responsible for receiving important legal documents on behalf of your business. Think of your registered agent as your business's point of contact with the state.
Who can be a Registered Agent? a Registered Agent must be a resident of Hawaii or a corporation, such as a registered agent service, authorized to transact business in Hawaii. You may elect an individual within the company including yourself.
To learn more about Hawaii Registered Agents, read our full guide.
Recommended: provides the first year of registered agent service free with LLC formation ($39 + State Fees)
FAQ: Nominating a Hawaii LLC Registered Agent
Can I be my own Registered Agent?
Yes. You or anyone else in your company can serve as the registered agent for your Hawaii LLC.
Read more about being your own registered agent.
Is a Registered Agent service worth it?
Using a professional Registered Agent service is an affordable way to manage government filings for your Hawaii LLC. For most businesses, the advantages of using a professional service significantly outweigh the annual costs.
For more information, read our article on Hawaii registered agents.
STEP 3: File Your Hawaii LLC Articles of Organization
To register your Hawaii LLC, you will need to file with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. This can be done online, by mail, by fax, by email, or in person.
Now is a good time to determine whether your LLC will be member-managed vs. manager-managed.
OPTION 1: File Online With Hawaii Business Express
- OR -
OPTION 2: File Form LLC-1 by Mail, by Fax, by Email, or in Person
State Filing Cost: $50, payable to the State of Hawaii (Nonrefundable) plus $1 State Archive Fee (May be refundable)
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Business Registration Division
335 Merchant St.
P.O. Box 40
Honolulu, HI 96810
335 Merchant St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
Fax: (808) 586-2733
For help with completing the form, visit our Hawaii Articles of Organization guide.
If you’re expanding your existing LLC to the state of Hawaii, you will need to form a Foreign LLC.
FAQ: Filing Hawaii LLC Documents
What is the processing time to form my Hawaii LLC?
Two weeks, but may be expedited for an additional fee.
What is the difference between a domestic Hawaii LLC and foreign LLC?
An LLC is referred to as a "domestic LLC" when it conducts business in the state where it was formed. Normally when we refer to an LLC we are actually referring to a domestic LLC. A foreign LLC must be formed when an existing LLC wishes to expand its business to another state.
Read our What Is a Foreign LLC article to learn more.
How much does it cost to start a Hawaii LLC?
The cost to start a Hawaii LLC is $51.
To learn more, read our guide on the cost to form a Hawaii LLC.
STEP 4: Create Your Hawaii LLC Operating Agreement
When creating an LLC in Hawaii, LLCs are not required to have an operating agreement, but it's a good practice to have one.
What is an operating agreement? An operating agreement is a legal document outlining the ownership and operating procedures of an LLC.
Why are operating agreements important? A comprehensive operating agreement ensures that all business owners are on the same page and reduces the risk of future conflict.
For more information on operating agreements, read our Hawaii LLC operating agreement guide.
Recommended: Download a template or create a Free Operating Agreement using our tool.
FAQ: Creating an Operating Agreement
Do I need to file my operating agreement with the state?
No. The operating agreement is an internal document that you should keep on file for future reference. However, many states do legally require LLCs to have an operating agreement in place.
STEP 5: Get a Hawaii LLC EIN
What is an EIN? EIN stands for Employer Identification Number. EINs are a nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to help identify businesses for tax purposes. It is essentially a Social Security number for a business.
An EIN is sometimes referred to as a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or Federal Tax Identification Number (FTIN).
Why do I need an EIN? An EIN is required to:
- Open a business bank account
- File and manage Federal and State Taxes
- Hire employees
What if I already have an EIN for my sole proprietorship? The IRS requires that sole proprietorships get a riversweeps online casino app android EIN when converting to an LLC.
Where do I get an EIN? You can get an EIN for free from the IRS. Getting an EIN is an easy process that can be done online or by mail.
FOR INTERNATIONAL EIN APPLICANTS: You do not need a SSN to get an EIN. For more information, read our How to Get an EIN as a Foreign Person guide.
Option 1: Request an EIN from the IRS
- OR -
Option 2: Apply for an EIN by Mail or Fax
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operation
Cincinnati, OH 45999
Fax: (855) 641-6935
FAQ: Getting a Hawaii LLC EIN
How do I get an EIN if I don’t have a Social Security number?
A social security number is not required to get an EIN. You can simply fill out and leave section 7b blank. Then call the IRS at (267) 941-1099 to complete your application. Learn more here about applying as an international applicant.
What tax structure should I choose for my Hawaii LLC?
Do I need an EIN for my LLC?
All LLCs with employees, or any LLC with more than one member, must have an EIN. This is required by the IRS.
Learn why we recommend always getting an EIN and how to get one for free in our Do I Need an EIN for an LLC guide.
Considering Using an LLC Formation Service?
We reviewed and ranked the top 5 LLC formation services.
Find out which is best for you.
Important Steps After Forming an LLC
Separate Your Personal and Business Assets
When your personal and business accounts are mixed, your personal assets (your riversweeps online casino app android, car, and other valuables) are at risk in the event your Hawaii LLC is sued. In business law, this is referred to as piercing the corporate veil.
You can start protecting your LLC in Hawaii with these steps:
1. Opening a business checking account:
- Separates your personal assets from your company's assets, which is necessary for personal asset protection.
- Makes accounting and tax filing easier.
Need help finding your EIN for your bank application? Visit our EIN Lookup guide for help.
Recommended: Read our Best Banks for Small Business review to find the best national bank, credit union, business-loan friendly banks, one with many brick-and-mortar locations, and more.
2. Getting a business credit card:
- Helps categorize and separate all business expenses for end-of-year tax purposes.
- Helps build your business credit score — an essential step toward getting a line of credit or business loan in the future.
- Allows you to keep track of department expenses by issuing multiple cards (with multiple budgets) to your employees.
For a closer look at business credit cards and their benefits, check out our review of the best small business credit cards.
Recommended: Visit Divvy to apply for their business credit card and build your business credit quickly.
For other important steps to protect your corporate veil, like properly signing legal documents and documenting company business, please read our corporate veil article.
3. Hiring a business accountant:
- Prevents your business from overpaying on taxes while helping you avoid penalties, fines, and other costly tax errors
- Makes bookkeeping and payroll easier, leaving you with more time to focus on your growing business
- Manages your business funding more effectively, discovering areas of unforeseen loss or extra profit
Recommended: Find out how much you could be saving today by trying our .
For more business accounting tools, read our guide to the best business accounting software.
Get Business Insurance for Your Hawaii LLC
Business insurance helps you manage risks and focus on growing your business. The most common types of business insurance are:
- General Liability Insurance: A broad insurance policy that protects your business from lawsuits. Most small businesses get general liability insurance.
- Professional Liability Insurance: A business insurance for professional service providers (consultants, accountants, etc.) that covers claims of malpractice and other business errors.
- Workers' Compensation Insurance: A type of insurance that provides coverage for employees’ job-related illnesses, injuries, or deaths. In Hawaii, businesses with one or more employees, including LLC members and corporate officers, are required by law to have workers compensation insurance.
Read our review of the best small business insurance companies.
Create Your Business Website
Creating a website is a big step in legitimizing your business. Every business needs a website. Even if you think that your business is too small or in an offline industry, if you don’t have a website, you are missing out on a large percentage of potential customers and revenue.
Some may fear that creating a business website is out of their reach because they don’t have any website-building experience. While this may have been a reasonable fear back in 2015, web technology has seen huge advancements in the past few years that makes the lives of small business owners much simpler.
Here are the main reasons why you shouldn’t delay building your website:
- All legitimate businesses have websites - full stop. The size or industry of your business does not matter when it comes to getting your business online.
- Social media accounts like Facebook pages or LinkedIn business profiles are not a replacement for a business website that you own and control.
- Website builder tools like the GoDaddy Website Builder have made creating a basic website extremely simple. You don’t need to hire a web developer or designer to create a website that you can be proud of.
Using our website building guides, the process will be simple and painless and shouldn’t take you any longer than 2-3 hours to complete.
Recommended: Get started today using our or check out our review of the Best Website Builders.
Send Out a Press Release
Press releases are among the easiest and best ways to promote your business. They are also one of the most cost-effective strategies as they:
- Provides publicity
- Establish your brand presence on the web
- Improve your website’s search engine optimization (SEO), driving more customers to your website
- Are a one-time cost in terms of effort and money
- Have long-lasting benefits
Read our review of the best press release services.
Keep Your Company Compliant
Hawaii Business Permits and Licenses
To operate your Hawaii LLC you must comply with federal, state, and local government regulations. For example, restaurants likely need health permits, building permits, signage permits, etc.
The details of business licenses and permits vary from state to state. Hawaii requires all businesses such as sole proprietorships, DBAs, LLCs, corporations (S corp and C corp), partnerships, etc. to obtain a . Make sure you read carefully and don't be surprised if there are short classes required as well.
Fees for business licenses and permits will vary depending on what sort of license you are seeking to obtain.
Find out how to obtain necessary licenses and permits for your business or have a do it for you:
- Business License Guide: Use our detailed Hawaii Business License guide.
- Federal: Use the .
- State: Visit .
- Local: Contact your local county clerk and ask about local licenses and permits.
Recommended: If you are a first-time entrepreneur, consider having a professional service research your business’s licensing requirements. Read our review on Startup Savant.
Hawaii LLC Tax Filing Requirements
Depending on the nature of your business, you may be required to register for one or more forms of state tax.
Hawaii Sales Tax
If you are selling a physical product, you’ll typically need to register for a seller's permit through the Hawaii Department of Taxation website.
Hawaii does not have a sales tax and instead imposes a .
Sales tax, also called "Sales and Use Tax," is a tax levied by states, counties, and municipalities on business transactions involving the exchange of certain taxable goods or services.
Read our Hawaii sales tax guide to find out more.
Hawaii Employer Taxes
If you have employees in Hawaii, you will have to register for the through the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations. You will also need to sign up for the through the Hawaii Department of Taxation on behalf of your employees.
Register for Hawaii State Taxes
Federal LLC Tax Filing Requirements
Most LLCs will need to report their income to the IRS each year using:
- (most multi-member LLCs use this form)
- (most single-member LLCs use this form)
How you pay yourself as an owner will also affect your federal taxes. Visit our guide to learn more about how to pay yourself from your LLC.
Read our LLC Tax Guide to learn more about federal income taxes for LLCs.
File Your Hawaii LLC Annual Report
Hawaii requires LLCs to file an annual report with the Department of Commerce. This can be done online or by mail.
Avoid Automatic Dissolution
LLCs may face fines and even automatic dissolution when they miss one or more state filings. When this happens, LLC owners risk the loss of limited liability protection. A quality registered agent service can help prevent this outcome by notifying you of upcoming filing deadlines and by submitting reports on your behalf.
Recommended: offers a reliable registered agent service and excellent customer support. Learn more by reading our ZenBusiness Review.
Hiring Employees in Hawaii
If you plan to hire employees, stay compliant with the law by following these steps:
- Verify that riversweeps online casino app android employees are able to work in the US
- as "riversweeps online casino app android hires" to the State
- Provide workers' compensation insurance for employees
- Withhold employee taxes
- Print workplace compliance posters and place them in visible areas of your workspace
Find out more information from the
Recommended: Check out our Hiring for your Small Business Guide for resources like sample job descriptions, payroll service reviews, and more.
FAQ: Hiring Employees
What is the minimum wage in Hawaii?
The minimum wage in Hawaii is $10.10 per hour.
How often do I need to pay employees?
Hawaii requires wages to be paid at least twice per month unless the employee and employer get special permission from the Hawaii Department of Labor to be paid on a monthly basis.
Small Business Resources
Get Help Starting a Business in Hawaii
We understand that creating an LLC in Hawaii and getting your business up and running comes with many challenges. To help you succeed, we compiled the best local resources in every major metro area in Hawaii. You can get free assistance in the following areas:
Small Business Trends
Learn about the current US business trends so you can make the most informed business decisions.
Women in Business Tools and Resources
If you have a , many resources are available to help you concentrate on your business’s growth:
- - (ie. grants, investors, loans)
- - (ie. conferences, meetups)
- - (ie. business formation, personal growth)
- - (ie. advice, communities, business strategies)
Our information and tools will provide educational sources, allow you to connect with other women entrepreneurs, and help you manage your business with ease.
Free LLC Legal Forms
riversweeps online casino app android offers a number of free LLC legal forms to help with creating documents like:
- Operating agreements
- LLC resolutions
- Hiring documents, including:
- Employment contracts
- Independent contractor service agreements (ICSA)
- Non-disclosure agreements (NDA)
All you’ll need to do to download the forms is sign up for the riversweeps online casino app android Business Center, which is also free, forever.
How to Build Business Credit
Learning how to build business credit can help you get credit cards and other business funding options in your business's name (instead of yours), with better interest rates, higher lines of credit, and more.
riversweeps online casino app android’s Small Business Tools
riversweeps online casino app android believes business tools should be free and useful. Our tools help solve business challenges, from finding an idea for your business, to creating a business plan, writing an operating agreement for your LLC, and more.
Check out riversweeps online casino app android’s small business tools:
More Hawaii LLC Information
Hawaii Foreign LLCs
Forming a foreign LLC allows your company to operate as one entity in multiple states. If you have an existing LLC and want to do business in Hawaii, you will need to register as a foreign LLC. This can be done online or by mail.
OPTION 1: File Online with the State of Hawaii
- OR -
OPTION 2: File by Mail
Fee: $50 (Nonrefundable)
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Business Registration Division
335 Merchant St.
PO Box 40
Honolulu, HI 96810
How to Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing in Hawaii
A Certificate of Good Standing verifies that your Hawaii LLC was legally formed and has been properly maintained. Several instances where you might need to get one include:
- Seeking funding from banks or other lenders
- Forming your business as a foreign LLC in another state
- Obtaining or reriversweeps online casino app androiding specific business licenses or permits
You can order a Hawaii Certificate of Good Standing online.
How to Dissolve an LLC in Hawaii
If at any point in the future you no longer wish to conduct business with your LLC, it is important to officially dissolve it. Failure to do so in a timely fashion can result in tax liabilities and penalties, or even legal trouble. To dissolve your Hawaii LLC, there are two broad steps:
- Close your business tax accounts
- File the Articles of Dissolution
When you are ready to dissolve your LLC, follow the steps in our Hawaii LLC Dissolution Guide.
Read More about LLCs & How to Run a Business
LLC: An LLC is a US business structure that offers the personal liability protection of a corporation with the pass-through taxation of a sole proprietorship or partnership.
DBA: A DBA, or doing business as name, is any name a business operates under that isn't its legal name.
Partnership: A partnership is an informal business structure owned by more than one individual that doesn't provide personal liability protection.